What causes a Water Mains Leak?
As the weather turns cold, a water mains leak becomes more common. When there is a very hard frost, an excess of water or when it dries out in the summer months the ground expands and contracts. This movement can cause pipes to pull apart at the joints, weaken or crack and consequently leak valuable water. Pipe corrosion, soil conditions, age and ground movement can also cause a water mains leak. If a hole or crack develops in the pipe, it might not be noticed right away. The water will typically find its way to the surface and because the water main is under pressure the water will continue to flow until the water mains leak is repaired.
Click here to find out what pipes you and the water board are responsible for.
How to check for a water mains leak
If you have a leak on your supply pipe, it is your responsibility (if you are the property owner) to ensure that the leak is repaired promptly.
There are a number of simple checks you can do to check whether you have a leak:
- Do you have a damp patch in the garden, driveway, or anywhere on your land during dry weather?
- Do you hear water running down a drain when no water is being used in your property?
- Is one particular patch of the lawn always green no matter how dry the weather?
- Can you hear water hissing or the sound of running water (rather like when your tank or WC cistern is filling), when there is no water being used in the property?
- Has your water pressure suddenly dropped?
- Are your water meter readings higher?
- Are you receiving higher bills?
- If you have a meter, make sure that no water is being used in the property and that all taps are turned off, then simply look at the meter for a couple of minutes. None of the dials should move. If they do then there may be a leak on the supply pipe.
What Leak Detection Specialists can do
Leak Detection Specialists provide a water leak detection service to find water leaks in underground water pipes for home owners, business owners, commercial, insurers and plumbers. Using the latest technology our skilled engineers use various methods of leak detection to find a water mains leak with little or no damage to your property. We have engineers all over the country enabling us to provide a fast response.